Lumber Interpretive Panel Unveiled

April 10, 2021 at 3:31 AM


From left:   DuBois City Manager John "Herm" Suplizio; historical society President Ruth Gregori; Holly Komonczi, executive director of the Lumber Heritage Region; and Lumber Heritage Region board member Mark Humbert.

   A new reminder of the City of DuBois' extensive lumber history was unveiled during a ceremony held on April 5 at the DuBois City Park.

     An interpretive panel, located near Heindl Field, commemorates the Big Mill and lumberyards owned by DuBois namesake John DuBois and later by John E. DuBois, became a new addition to the City Park.

     Historical Society President Ruth Gregory and Holly Komonczi, executive director of the Lumber Heritage Region pulled the cover from the panel while DuBois City Manager John "Herm" Suplizio and Lumber Heritage Region board member Mark Humbert looked on.

     The DuBois Area Historical Society conducted the project, supported by the City of DuBois and the Downtown DuBois Inc. Gregori and historical society director of genealogy Dick Castonguay obtained a mini-grant from the Pennsylvania Lumber Heritage Region for the project.

     Gregori thanked the Lumber Heritage Region for its support and the City of DuBois for providing a location for and installation of the panel.  Komonczi expressed her organization's appreciation of the effort to preserve lumber history. Suplizio added his gratitude to both organizations for their efforts in preserving the history of the area.

     The Lumber Heritage Region, based in Emporium, is a 15-county region in North West/North Central Pennsylvania that accentuates the importance of the lumber industry for the past, present and future. The goal of the heritage region is to market its assets to potential visitors, to serve as a resource to the Pennsylvania hardwood industry, and to keep the economic impact of the region in the forefront.


     Lumbering was the first industry of the DuBois area. While lumbering existed from the beginning throughout Pennsylvania it became the spark of growth in DuBois with the arrival of John DuBois in 1871. By the time the lumbering era ended in 1904, John DuBois owned mills produced over 900,000,000 board feet of lumber.

     The panel is situated facing the site of the former DuBois Lumber Yards. It includes a diagram of the mill layout, portraits of John and John E. DuBois, information about lumbering in DuBois, and a chart listing Big Mill production from 1874-1903.

     Society second vice president Tom Schott designed the sign. It was printed and received in late 2020.

     The DuBois Area Historical Society hopes this interpretive panel, along with several others planned will help both local residents and visitors to the area learn about the rich history that surrounds them and celebrate the City of DuBois' upcoming 150th anniversary in 2022.

     Funding for the Lumber Heritage Region 2020 Mini-Grant Program is provided through the Pennsylvania Heritage Areas Program Fund, under the administration of the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Bureau of Recreation and Conservation and therefore must adhere to all statewide rules and regulations.


Category: News