Luthersburg Spring Walk A Success

June 03, 2015 at 1:19 PM


The view from the monument to the Hayes home.

            Over 53 people turned out on a warm and sunny day to celebrate the history of Luthersburg at the DuBois Area Historical Society’s 7th Annual Spring Walk. The participants heard a split program, half of it taking place on the historic John Hayes property and the other half at the Luthersburg Union Township Cemetery, which dates for 1822.


            Gary Gilmore (above with Jean Hayes seated) was the lead off speaker to the group who sat in lawn chairs or on the sun dappled grass on the Hayes property directly above the Daughters of the American Revolution plaque at the junction of U. S. 219 and U. S. 322. Gilmore outlined the history of Luthersburg from its beginnings as a stopping place on the Native American’s Great Shamokin Path.  James Woodside became the first white settler in 1785 and by 1812 Troops headed for the War of 1812 also camped in the same area.

            Logically, this crossroads in the wilderness, also became the crossroads of the early turnpike system. Lebeus Luther, the town’s namesake, settled just south of the town’s present location in 1820 and by 1860 a thriving village hosted several hotels, at least six stores, and a bank among other businesses. Prosperity would come from a variety of enterprises including lumbering, mining for fire clay and coal, farming, and the five hotels in the town.


           John Hayes (above) talked about his home on the property hosting the program during his description of the growth of Luthersburg. His present home stands on the foundation of the Creamhill Tavern and was built in 1858 by John Irwin.


            Dave Hayes (above) described the Hahne Farm, located a short distance from the program site. The farm was established as a “showplace” farm by Frank Hahne, founder the DuBois Brewery. People would drive to the location by horse and buggy to take a look at the property. Fairman Farms later located at the property until its move to DuBois in 1953. The entire farm area was later strip mined for coal.


           Larry Fulton (above) and Emma Miller (photo below) handled the program at the cemetery, taking the visitors on a walk to the grave sites of James Woodside, the first white settler in Brady Township; William Armagost, who died in 1862 at Harper’s Ferry during the U. S. Civil War; George Heiges, a member of the 105th Pennsylvania Volunteers, who was killed during the same war at Gettysburg; and Frank Shugert (spelled Shugart in many places), a major league baseball player from 1890-1901. Fulton, a Civil War buff, had some of his collection of items he had found on various battlefields on display for viewing.


            Jean Hayes, the DuBois Area Historical Society’s Area Representative for Brady Township, coordinated the activities. Brady Township fire police provided traffic control.


The Hayes home.


Larry Fulton had some of his Civil War collection on display.

Category: News