Carey Huber (left) leads the walk at the entrance to the CCC Trail.
A rainy morning gave way to clearing just in time for 24 people to walk the CCC Trail at Parker Dam State Park during the DuBois Area Historical Society’s 10th Annual Spring Walk.
Carey Huber and Eric Rensel from Parker Dam State Park led the walk from Tyler Road to Mud Run Road following the path members of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) used in 1934-35 during construction of parts of Parker Dam State Park.
Huber explained that the CCC was a public work relief program that operated from 1933 to 1942 in the United States for unemployed, unmarried men from relief families as part of the President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal. Originally for young men ages 18–25, it was eventually expanded to young men ages 17–28. The provided unskilled manual labor jobs related to the conservation and development of natural resources in rural lands owned by federal, state and local governments including Parker Dam. CCC members received $30 per month, $25 of which was sent home to their families.
CCC Trail was opened during the 75th Anniversary of Parker Dam Park. Huber related that what is now the dam area had been created as a holding dam for lumbering in the late 19th Century. The land was later purchased by the state for use by the public. The CCC helped in improving facilities that would increase the use of the area for recreation.
The walk passed through the woods and clearing areas. The latter, Huber said, would have resembled the well lumbered park at the time of the CCC arrival. The CCC initially campted in army surplus tents in what is now the Organized Group Tenting Area. They built six barracks, a dining hall, and several other buildings. Most of them no longer stand.
Huber also related the history of the 1985 tornado that caused heavy damage in Parker Dam and the surrounding area.
Pausing in the woods.
At the site of the CCC dining hall.
A map shows the original locations of CCC buildings.
Wrapping up at the camping area.